This meeting will provide you with 2 core and 2 category points. Please RSVP to us by February 19, 2016, and bring your chemical license.
Itinerary is as follows:
- 9:30 am: Registration
- 10:00-10:30: Roundup Ready 2 Xtend Soybeans Update (1 category), presented by Jim Valent, CCA – Channel Agronomist
- 10:30-11:00: Weed Control in Forages (1 category), presented by Jessica Williamson, Ph.D., Forage Crop Specialist
- 11:00-11:30: Fertilizer Efficiency, Top Dress Split Application of Nitrogren, presented by Albert McIntier, CCA
- 11:30-12:00: Agricultural Spill Cleanup, Pesticide Storage and Handling Procedures (1 core), presented by Albert McIntier, CCA
- 12:00-12:30: Reducing Spray Drift (1 core), presented by Jessica Williamson, Ph.D., Forage Crop Specialist
- 12:30: Lunch (which is provided)
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) is expanding the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) regulations that govern how and when feed-grade antibiotics can be given to food-producing animals. The FDA’s goal is to reduce the use of antibiotics for production purposes such as increasing growth, and instead use them for health emergencies only. Use of the drugs will require a prescription, administration by a veterinarian, or a consultation with a vet, as certified by a VFD, a document issued by a licensed veterinarian.
To help you prepare, your co-op has scheduled a free informational meeting at 7:00 pm on Tues., Feb. 2, 2016 at the 4H Building, Bedford County Fairgrounds. Dr. Michele Campbell and Bradley Gray of Hubbard Feeds will be featured speakers.
The rule was implemented October 2015, but feed-grade manufacturers have until Dec. 31, 2016 to finish the process of changing their product labels. The rule takes full effect on Jan. 1, 2017.
Currently some antibiotics require a VFD, but as of Jan. 1, 2017 the list will be expanded to include:
- Chlortetracycline (Aureomycin)
- Tylosin (Tylan)
- Sulfas (AS-700)
- Macrolides (Pulmotil)
For more information on the new VFD rules, visit the FDA website, or this useful FAQ from iGrow.
Santa Claus is taking time out from his busy schedule to visit with us at our Bedford location from 10:00 am-noon on Saturday, December 19, 2015! Kids can visit with Santa, and all will receive a small gift. Mark your calendar!
Our Sidewalk Sale is coming up on Saturday, September 12 at our Bedford location only – mark your calendar now! We’re reducing our inventory to get ready for the change in seasons, which means you’ll get discounts of up to 50% on a huge range of selected merchandise. This sale is one day only — don’t miss it! Hope to see you then.
Bedford Farm Bureau Co-op is looking forward to the 2015 season of fairs and special events! Good luck to everyone showing at these events. We’ll see you there!